When I try to shutdown my Mac Racket (run from the command line)
cancels the shutdown or logout.

I can install an application-quit-handler (with racket/gui) like this:

    ;;
    ;; Operating System Interface Incoming
    (define (quit-request)
      ;; XXX this is called but racket still cancels
      ;; any shutdown, restart or logout
      (debug-message "quit-request called")
      (send main-frame show #f)
      (exit)
      #t)
    (application-quit-handler quit-request)

On logout or shutdown the new handler is called, closes main-frame
but Racket still does not exit and cancels the shutdown. It does exit
when the only window main-frame is closed manually, when I choose
a menu item with "exit" in its handler or when I choose the Quit menu
item in the Mac Application menu.

There is an old bug report about this here:
http://bugs.racket-lang.org/query/?cmd=view&pr=12252

Does anyone know how to make Racket behave better?