One data point:
I’m using DrRacket version 6.2.0.4--2015-06-08 with OS X Version 10.9.5, and if
I remember correctly it was a Racket plus Tests 64-bit installation.
I tried those steps, and it worked fine, with no weird black areas, though I do
remember occasionally getting similar small black areas in the past, covering
just the tab bar or something like that, and when I moved my mouse over it it
fixed itself? I’m not sure if I remember that correctly, and I’m not sure if
that could be related to what you got, because that wasn’t with full screen or
the mission control screen, and I could not produce that consistently.