We are just getting ready to "release" my son's little Racket game, but after
doing all the development on OS-X, I find that the windows performance is
terrible.  In hindsight, we should have just used bitmap / dc drawing directly,
but it grew out of playing with HTDP / Realm of Racket examples.

It is a scrolling game, with a 4096 x 640 bitmap drawn into a 1280 x 640 window.

It started out with the map just being a big image composed with place-image
for each solid object, but that got incrementally slower for every block in the
map.  Freezing the image made it even slower.

On the mac at least, I found that if I manually created a bitmap and draw the
objects into it with (send dc draw-bitmap ...) then it would draw quickly, but
only if I used (send hidden-canvas make-bitmap ...) to create the bitmap.
Using (make-platform-butmap ...) or (make-screen-bitmap ...) both resulted in
slow performance.

On windows, it seems I always get slow performance.

A simple testbed program that just draws the bitmap to a window with (send dc
draw-bitmap ...) is fast, but the (place-image ...) of the bitmap in the
2htdp/universe program is slow, and it does seem to get slower with increasing
bitmap size.

Any suggestions to save us from having to rewrite all the drawing code?