Matthew,

Sure I meant the full distribution.
Thanks, I hope that the consensus will be reached :)

Best regards,

Dmitry

On 09/15/2015 08:06 PM, Matthew Flatt wrote:
We left out "libracket3m.a" just to make the distribution smaller,
since it wasn't clear that anyone found it useful. The minimal Racket
distribution for x86_64 is about 30MB unpacked, and "libracket3m.a" is
5MB by itself. So, the library would be a significant addition for the
minimal distribution, but I don't think it would be a problem. It's a
negligible increase for the full distribution.

I think that making `--enable-libs` the default mode for `configure`
will cause "libracket3m.a" to be included in builds, so I can do that
if there's a consensus to include it.

On Windows, the normal build uses DLLs; a ".lib" file that goes with
the DLLs is small, so that's why it's included. The situation is
similar on Mac OS X. Using dynamic libraries causes various hassles,
but the alternatives are not better on those platforms. On other Unix
variants, we avoid distributing a shared-library variant of
"libracket3m.a", essentially because `execve()` works better for our
purposes.