It occurs to me that if I treat my file system as a database I am making
assumption about locking and access that may not be consistent across file
systems - but the operations are so fast and writes are so rare that this
is unlikely to be an issue I ever experience with my little web app.

I also like how everything in a database is typed. I like to try follow
good engineering practice & Little scripts have a disturbing habit of
becoming production systems.

Thanks for your advice.

Stephen