On Friday, November 20, 2015 at 5:40:32 AM UTC-5, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 02:01:02PM -0800, Brian Adkins wrote:
> > The more I dig into Racket, the more I like it. It seems like a perfect fit
> > for both my personality and the type of applications I am, and will be,
> > writing. For the vast majority of what I need to do, it's a great fit.
> >
> > I do occasionally encounter a need for raw speed, so I'm looking for a
> > complement to Racket for those few times when it's not fast enough. I
> > chatted briefly about this on IRC the other day, but I thought I'd tap into
> > the collective wisdom on the mailing list.
> >
> > I'm open to suggestions, but I've tentatively narrowed the list down to
> > Rust and C. I programmed in C/C++ for about a decade, then Java for a
> > decade, and most recently in Ruby for a decade, so it's been a while since
> > I was an expert C hacker, and my recent Ruby experience has lessened my
> > polyglotness :)
>
> Consider Gambit and OCaml.
>
> OCaml is statically typed, and its compiler uses the static typing in
> its code generation.  Although the stock OCaml interprets byte code, on
> the x86 and AMD64 traditions the compiler will compile all the way to
> efficient machine code.
>
> Gambit is another Scheme dialect (and thus similar somewhat to
> Gambti).  It normally compiles down to C, and permits you to specify
> what C code is to be generated for specific user-declared functions.
> THis might be the language team-up you want.
>
> -- hendrik

I've actually spent a fair amount of time with OCaml, and I like the language a
lot (better than Haskell), but for *me* it's kind of in an awkward spot - on
the one hand, it's not quite as fast as Rust/C (although for a functional
language, it's really fast), and multi-core requires async (got tired of
waiting for the multi-core promise of 4.03), and on the other hand, I find
Racket much more enjoyable, productive and a better fit for the way I think.

I would consider Gambit for a special purpose app that *needed* to compile down
to C (maybe an embedded platform, robotics, etc. where Racket isn't available),
but for my general application development, I'm sticking with Racket. I even
have Racket running on my Raspberry Pi, and I think Linux is becoming more
available for robotics, so I may be able to skip the whole "C" thing there as
well.