> On Dec 22, 2015, at 8:46 AM, Matthew Flatt <mfl...@cs.utah.edu> wrote:
>
> I think Robby was just confused by your example, because he's used to
> starting with a fresh REPL. :)

When Dan F. and I worked on TLL/3 way back in the 80s together, we
confused ourselves several times with just HO functions and some aux
macros to set things up (for ch 8 I think) so much that we decided we’d
never, ever use the REPL for more than a few interactions and then re-start.
(If you watched Dan F’s SL talk this year, he still does this.)

Of course, at the time the macro system was much simpler and less expressive,
the IDE was plain Emacs, but the top-level, it was already hopeless back then.

— Matthias

p.s. BTW, this is where DrRacket’s “transparent” top-level comes from: it’s
a mechanical version of Dan F presenting code from 1988 or 1989 or something
like that ;-)