On Thursday, January 21, 2016 at 7:48:44 AM UTC-5, Robby Findler wrote:
> It may be the overhead of communicating the data is dominating the
> time spent working.
>
> Would it work to the main place open the file, count the number of
> lines, and then just tell the worker places which chunks of the file
> are theirs? Or maybe just do the counting at the byte level and then
> have some way to clean up the partial lines that each place would get?
>
> Robby

I think one of the problems might be the fact that every mutable byte string
needs to be converted to an immutable bytes string before it can be sent across
a place channel, right?

I have no idea how costly that is, but that could be a huge part of the
overhead. Unfortunately, it seems that the result of most byte string
operations is a mutable byte string (with no way to tell the system to place it
in the shared area), so it might be unavoidable.