I'm sure I'm missing something obvious here. In the Guide, introducing syntax
objects, it says:

"Most notably, free-identifier=? determines whether two identifiers refer to
the same binding:

(free-identifier=? #'car (let ([car 8])
                             #'car))

The last example above, in particular, illustrates how syntax objects preserve
lexical-context information."

To me it looks suspiciously like those two identifiers refer to different
bindings.

You think you're starting to get this macro stuff, and then...