Thanks, the smtp works, and it seems that sendmail actually does work even
the way I used it, but the email I used landed in spam, because google
realized it hadn't been sent from that account (since I was bypassing it,
unlike the smtp solution, which logs into the account first).

Matthew, regarding your point, the #f actually gets replaced by sendmail by
the email address associated with the account (which needs to be set), so
that wasn't the issue.

Best,
Marc