Brian Adkins wrote on 03/21/2016 11:37 AM:

As I mentioned in my original post, I wasn't suggesting we emulate the Elixir
behavior - I was really just curious about macro limitations :)

I have hijacked the thread.  Pray I do not hijack it further. :)

`define/provide` seems a bit long to me.

Yes, but idiomatic, and doesn't preclude future names/syntax (since it's an obvious combination of existing idiomatic identifiers, and nobody is plausibly going to want to use this identifier for any purpose). There is a more general interest in a terse syntax, but this one identifier is not the time to start it.

  I also like the distinction between defining  a function with define and
indicating export behavior with provide.

`define` and `provide` will still exist, and will continue to be used -- for people who don't like `define/provide`, and for situations in which `define/provide` is not what you want.

Neil V.