At Mon, 18 Apr 2016 14:32:20 -0700, Jordan Johnson wrote:
> So I tried downloading a newer version of OpenSSL
> (1.0.2g 1 Mar 2016), and now it fails with:
>
> ssl-connect: connect failed (error:14090086:SSL
> routines:ssl3_get_server_certificate:certificate verify failed)
>   context…: [stack trace follows]

I've seen these kinds of problems where the set of trusted certificates
had not been updated recently enough. Maybe there's an update for the
"ca-certificates" package for your installation?

You could also try setting the `PLT_PKG_SSL_NO_VERIFY` environment
variable. As a workaround, that's a last resort, but it might help
clarify whether it issue is with the set of trusted root certificates.