On Sat, May 7, 2016 at 4:07 AM, Tim Brown <t...@cityc.co.uk> wrote:
> Thanks, Jay, for highlighting the warning which pretty well says that if I do
> what I did then I deserve what happened to me :-)
>
> More generally, is there any means of "annotating" that a function/library is
> deprecated (I assume you'd consider that library to be deprecated). So that I
> would have to face the fact every time I ran my software?
>
> Is Racket getting mature enough that more mand more things are going to be
> left in "just for backward compatibility"?
>
> Without too much consideration, I ask is there a place in contracts for that?

I think that there are lots of things that are just for compatibility.
I think that it would be a bad idea to do something like printing to
stderr for using it and I'm not sure that contract per se are the
right mechanism. I do think that contracts are good model as they are
an annotation "on the side". I think the ideal would be a way to know
during building that you use something for compat and a possible
mechanism would be a special logging level to pass the information
out-of-band during compilation.

Jay

--
Jay McCarthy
Associate Professor

           "Wherefore, be not weary in well-doing,
      for ye are laying the foundation of a great work.
And out of small things proceedeth that which is great."
                          - D&C 64:33