'John Clements' via Racket Users <racket-users@googlegroups.com> [16-11-01
18:47]:

> > On Nov 1, 2016, at 8:02 AM, David Storrs <david.sto...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Is it possible to jump right into a list at a certain item of
> > > the list and to start processing there?
> >
> > Yes.  What you want is list-ref
> >
> > (define my-list '(a b c d e f g))
> >
> > (list-ref (list 'a 'b 'c) 0)
> > 'a
>

> Oog, no, don’t do that. The earlier solution, by returning the list (or, if
> you prefer, “a pointer to the list”), ensure that the entire (resumed) search
> takes time linear in the length of the list. But indexing into the list with
> ‘list-ref’ will require re-traversing the first part of the list, probably
> turning an O(n) operation into an O(n^2) operation.
>
> Right?
>
> John

Hi John,

thanks for your reply! :)

My first assumption was, that returning the tail of a list would
return a FULL COPY (*>IIIIKKKKS<*) of that tail made me feels not very
comfortable about that kind of solution.

But...
:)

If under the hood racket transfers references...NO PROBLEM!
I like that! 8)

Cheers
Meino