Some weeks ago, I just had the exact same problem while developing a
"server.rkt" module with Vim. I use the Syntactic plugin to check syntax, and
this plugin in turn uses the `racket` executable to find syntax problems.

My solution was to add the args "--load" when executing the module with
`racket`, e.g. this command checks the syntax but does not run the module:

    $ racket --load server.rkt

If using Vim and Syntastic, add this line to your .vimrc:

    let g:syntastic_racket_racket_args="--load"