On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 8:05 PM, Hendrik Boom <hend...@topoi.pooq.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 07:14:15PM -0400, Jon Zeppieri wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 7:10 PM, Raoul Duke <rao...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > i should think any "real" fp would support it. where real is a bijection
>> > with having such support.  well, at least necessary if not sufficient.
>>
>> That would be a rather contentious claim, as it rules out OCaml, for example.
>
> I really thought OCaml did tail-recursion properly.  Its tutorial
> literature goes th some trouble to explain that it's OK to recurse
> tailfully.  What is the truth here?

OCaml does handle tail calls properly. But proper tails calls are not
the subject of this discussion. The original post was explicitly about
non-tail calls and how, in Racket, you cannot exhaust the stack
without exhausting all of the memory available to the program.
(Whereas in OCaml you can, because it uses a fixed-size stack.)