On 02/06/17 02:50, Alasdair McAndrew wrote:

I have been experimenting with the bigfloat library, which I understand to be a
wrapper for the GNU MPFR library.  And it works well.  But I'm wondering if
anybody's given thought about porting other scientific libraries, such as GNU
GSL to Racket.  Is this the sort of thing which would be very difficult indeed
- or are there tools available to do the heavy lifting, so to speak, as well as
much of the coding drudgery?  I would certainly like to have access to GSL.

Racket's foreign-function interface is pretty good:

  http://docs.racket-lang.org/foreign/

Moreover, compared to other languages (Python etc.), you have macros to abstract away much of the boilerplate that wrappers inevitably require.

The main work is (1) designing a good API on the Racket side and (2) providing sufficient tests that users will trust the code. For GSL the API should not be too hard because its structure is simple and it doesn't rely on complex data structures.

- Konrad.