On Wednesday, August 16, 2017 at 3:42:38 PM UTC+2, Alex Knauth wrote:
> > On Aug 8, 2017, at 10:42 AM, Luis Sanjuán <luisj.sanj...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Tuesday, August 8, 2017 at 3:16:46 PM UTC+2, Alex Knauth wrote:
>
> >> I've been basing it on the chord-labeling algorithm in a paper I found,
> >> "Algorithms for Chordal Analysis" by Bryan Pardo and William P.
> >> Birmingham, but there are a few situations where this doesn't label the
> >> correct chord. In particular when there are something like short arpeggios
> >> in the harmony and longer passing tones or suspensions in the melody, it
> >> gives more weight to the passing tones and suspensions.
>
> > Looks interesting! Mine, written in a couple of days, is much simpler. It
> > just arranges chords to match chord patterns (what Pardo an Birmingham call
> > templates, as I read) and labels them accordingly. First, it assumes chord
> > boundaries are given, say, for instance, each arpeggio of Bach's Prelude I
> > in das Wohltemperierte Klavier, and there is no attempt to score
> > alternatives.
> >
> > The task in a real world scenario looks really demanding. Although I've
> > never thought of it, for what I've skim-read I agree with P and B that,
> > first, we need ways to determine chord boundaries, and secondly, algorithms
> > to score possible interpretations. And, at first glance, it seems to me
> > that both tasks cannot be completely isolated, since boundaries may depend
> > on the interpretation.
>
> That's true. Maybe I need to implement both sides of the algorithm before I
> look at passing tones. Some of the suspensions in particular would make sense
> as two chords instead of one. For longer passing tones, it might interpret it
> as one-chord-per-melody-note like in a hymn, but maybe that's useful enough
> and I can hopefully simplify the output by hand later.
>
> > On the other hand, even chord patterns (which of them are suitable and the
> > probability of its occurrence) may differ according to the historic and
> > stylistic context, even by composer, as it is actually the case in real
> > music.

Looks promising.

By the way, motivated by the discussion I have searched for similar efforts.
You may be aware of this one:

https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-01161435/document [description]

http://grfia.dlsi.ua.es/cm/projects/drims/software.php [code]

It is also based on P&B, and written in Common Lisp.