Greetings.

On 6 Feb 2018, at 13:00, ben.rudgers wrote:

"The library [math.h] doesn't try to distinguish +0 from -0. IEEE 754
worries quite
a bit about this distinction. All the architectures I mentioned above can
represent
  both flavors of zero. But I have trouble accepting (or even
understanding) the
  rationale for this extra complexity. I can sympathize with recent
critiques of the
IEEE 754 Standard that challenge that rationale. Most of all, I found the
functions
quite hard enough to write without fretting about the sign of nothing."

If I recall correctly, this is included in the IEEE standard in order to support various functions which have a cut along the real axis in the complex plane, and so which have a significantly different values on that real line, when approached from above and below the line (in the complex plane).

But this is a rather hand-waving explanation, and I'll defer to those with more detailed knowledge of the relevant numerical analysis.

Norman

--
Norman Gray  :  https://nxg.me.uk