> On Apr 1, 2018, at 12:57 PM, Stephen Smith <stephen1965sm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> my (book) project is for model railroad hobbyists (many if not most who have
> never programmed before).

Have you considered the development of a railroad-simulation language within
Racket that fits your domain? If you can provide people with a language that
fits their problem area, they might be more interested in learning more about
programming per se. Since embedded DSLs usually have a natural backdoor, this
might be an approach that works well.

In my current “hack your own language” course, some kids have gone a step
further. They are interested in music theory. So they implemented a language
for specifying languages in which students can then create compositions of
choral music and the composition is statically checked before they even turn it
in. The teacher can create a language per weekly homework and teh students get
to see the progression. At the same time, there are several ways to dive into
Racket from each level.

— Matthias