Reporting back: The problem was a bug in the bytecode compiler, and
commit 88d8ba00e0 is the repair.

The debugger works by modifying a program so that local variables are
mutable. Meanwhile, Philip's program uses the contracts in a way that
expands to `call-with-immediate-continuation-mark`. The compiler
mishandled `call-with-immediate-continuation-mark` on a `lambda` whose
argument variable is mutable.