> 2. Just use the same namespace as eval-example.rkt

I had tried this, but it evals not just the example language but
Racket+example (i.e. Racket forms also eval, and the example language has
to be compatible with Racket).

1. Keep the new namespace, but use namespace-attach-module to attach
> runtime.rkt from eval-example.rkt to example-namespace before
> (namespace-require example).

That worked!  I'm now able to define a struct in my runtime library, and it
ends up being the same struct type in both modules.  Thank you!

You've mentioned that you want to "define a custom language" and evaluate
> it. But so far I don't see any sign that you're using Racket's dedicated
> facilities for doing this (especially `#%module-begin` and `module`). If
> this is a deliberate choice, carry on. If not, consider investigating them,
> because they streamline the very chores you're finding painful.

Yes, I understand :-)