I think a genuinely detailed accounting of this has to wait for a
conversation over beer, but:

2003: New Scheme Standard proposed at the Scheme Workshop
2006: First draft of R6RS released
2007: R6RS Ratified by community vote after extensive discussion and revision
2009: A new Scheme Standard steering committee elected by a community
vote. The new committee reflected opposition to the R6RS.

Subsequent to this, new editors have produced various versions of the
R7RS, which do not aim to be direct successors to the R6RS.

You can see extensive material about this here: http://www.r6rs.org/history.html

Sam