I think the best practice (at least my usual practice these days) is
to make a package.

Say the top of your tree is /path/to/project.

Once:

  raco pkg install /path/to/project

Thereafter your "make" is:

  raco setup --pkgs project

This also works fine for c:\path\to\project.

(Making it a local package like this doesn't mean you must publish it
to pkgs.r-l.org.)