I'm not sure if this will fix your vi-mode issues, but here is some info on
the readline situation. You should be able to get readline support by
installing readline-gpl via `raco pkg install readline-gpl` (as the name
suggests it was removed from core racket due to gpl compatibility
concerns).  Some additional info in the docs
<https://docs.racket-lang.org/readline/index.html>, with an additional note
that `racket -il xrepl` is another way to start racket with readline
support (once you have readline-gpl installed). Best!
Tom