It is not possible, unfortunately. You must do the conversion to and from strings yourself.

I've thought about adding a hook for additional conversions based on declared types, but there's no declared type information at all for parameters, and the declared type for results is fragile: a column name has a declared type but no other kind of expression does.

Ryan