At Sun, 14 Jul 2019 13:44:27 -0400, Christopher Lemmer Webber wrote:
> The context of this email is the proposal by Matthew Flatt that we move
> to an easier-to-accept surface syntax for #lang racket2.

I appreciate your enthusiasm to get started! And I normally appreciate
concrete proposals to solve problems. But I think the
design-and-exploration task that we have ahead is too big for this mode
of operation. Specifically, I don't think we should use the mailing
list to broadcast and discuss concrete solutions just now.

It's presumably on me to propose the next step, so stay tuned. I won't
offer a proposal for a solution or even a proposal for a set of
constraints on a solution. Instead, I intend a proposal (informed by
Aaron's talk) for the social structure that we use to study the
possibilities for Racket2, including but not limited to the question of
reader syntax.

In other words, while it's tempting to jump into technical discussions,
I think we'll need to take this more slowly and formally, making sure
that we agree on a set of goals/constraints for a potential new syntax.
Just as an example, I would advocate the constraint that

  function(arg, ...)

needs to be the function-call syntax --- with commas --- not just

  function(arg ...)

as you wrote it. My point is not to debate the comma detail here or
establish it a priori as a requirement, but only to illustrate the
layers of discussion that we'll need to work through.