> On Sep 18, 2019, at 12:25 PM, Sage Gerard <s...@sagegerard.com> wrote:
>
> This question is more for private-sector programmers in firms using
> well-adopted technologies: How many of you tried to get your team to try
> Racket at work for smaller tasks? What was their reaction?

Three of them use it because they want to.
Several others because they were required.

They reacted with curiosity, but didn’t truly learn the usefulness of
functional programming or the capabilities of Racket in particular (extendable
documentation, DrRacket environment, macros, modules, etc.)

> I know there are not enough Racket programmers out there to justify many
> risks in maintaining large Racket projects in large firms, so I emphasize the
> word "try" in my question. I'm hoping your stories might help me learn how to
> get more professionals to be at least curious about it.
>
> The more I use Racket the more I wonder why so many other people aren't, even
> if only to learn more. When I bring it up, people look at me like I'm that
> crazy guy yammering about veganism or Crossfit (My words, not theirs. As far
> as I'm concerned, if they show me their baby pictures without me asking then
> I get to talk about Racket for as long as they just talked about their spawn).

In my world (telescope laboratory), most of the software is written by
engineers and scientists; they have no sensitivity to alternative software
development possibilities and generally are annoyed by such matters.

rac