Hm... so I guess I'm "using a with clause" like the book requests if I'm
redeveloping the iswim-general reduction relation myself, even if the only
difference from the book's version is to name it general and to make it
reference the new iswim language I made that has the compatible closure
context instead of the evaluation context. This makes more sense, thanks.
It felt like I must have misunderstood because what I did, which was the
quickest and easiest way to do this, was to change my original language
definition, rather than make a new one and thus need to make a new
reduction using a with clause.

-mike