I suggested using `string-append` because in my own performance
investigations with reading 100Mb+ CSV files: constructing short tokens
using string-append is faster than using a string port -- perhaps there is
a fixed overhead with using string ports which makes `string-append` faster
for short strings, but I don't know at what string length the string ports
become faster.

I think using string ports will be definitely faster than using
`list->string`, but for the difference between `string-append` and string
ports, some performance measurement might be needed.

Thanks for looking into this,
Alex.