This is a really cool piece of history! Thank you.

I'll admit I'm somewhat fuzzy here - it maybe a bit too meta for me or
perhaps I don't quite understand what you're trying to say. Isn't
interpreting n levels deep also linear in n? Only difference between the
two approaches  I see is that compiler lets you persist the fruits of its
labor so you don't have to start from scratch every time. Couldn't you
accommodate this with an interpreter (with some effort) although at this
point it becomes a compiler I suppose. Definitely fuzzy here.