I was able to follow John's instructions and I get what Shriram had in the
original message, so that seems like it is on the right track.

Confusingly, however, I also seem to be getting this more helpful message:

DrRacket install: invalid package source;
 inferred package name includes disallowed characters
  given: https://github.com/shriram/mystery-languages.git
https://github.com/shriram/mystery-languages.git
https://github.com/shriram/mystery-languages.git
https://github.com/shriram/mystery-languages.git
https://github.com/shriram/mystery-languages.git
https://github.com/shriram/mystery-languages.git

I can't see how this check gets evaded sometimes (and I cannot seem to get
back to the error state that produced the transcript below) so I didn't try
to push a fix.

But at least that might help SK's students & TAs for now.

Robby

Querying Git references for mystery-languages at
https://github.com/shriram/mystery-languages.git
https://github.com/shriram/mystery-languages.git
https://github.com/shriram/mystery-languages.git
https://github.com/shriram/mystery-languages.git
https://github.com/shriram/mystery-languages.git
pkg: Git checkout initial protocol failed;
 the given URL might not refer to a Git repository
  given URL: https://github.com/shriram/mystery-languages.git
https://github.com/shriram/mystery-languages.git
https://github.com/shriram/mystery-languages.git
https://github.com/shriram/mystery-languages.git
https://github.com/shriram/mystery-languages.git
  context...:
   /Users/robby/git/exp/plt/racket/collects/pkg/private/stage.rkt:762:25
   /Users/robby/git/exp/plt/racket/collects/net/git-checkout.rkt:336:0:
parse-initial-refs
   /Users/robby/git/exp/plt/racket/collects/net/git-checkout.rkt:73:8
   dynamic-wind
   call-in-empty-metacontinuation-frame
   /Users/robby/git/exp/plt/racket/collects/net/git-checkout.rkt:54:2:
retry-loop
   dynamic-wind
   call-in-empty-metacontinuation-frame
   dynamic-wind
   call-in-empty-metacontinuation-frame
   /Users/robby/git/exp/plt/racket/collects/pkg/private/stage.rkt:59:2:
lookup-normally
   /Users/robby/git/exp/plt/racket/collects/pkg/private/stage.rkt:107:0:
stage-package/info
   /Users/robby/git/exp/plt/racket/collects/pkg/private/install.rkt:141:0:
install-packages
   /Users/robby/git/exp/plt/racket/collects/pkg/private/install.rkt:925:4