There is also the possibility to do these other things outside of your
terminal application. If you are on linux you could just ctrl-z to send
your terminal app to the background (suspend it) and get back to your
normal terminal execute some rsync command or something to send your file,
"jobs" command then lists background processes, "fg" brings back the most
recent one (your terminal app). Thats the simplified description see the
manpages or google for more info on that.
But I have the impression that you want to do all these things within your
application?