I notice that Discourse has a "mailing list mode"  which you can set in the
preferences.  I haven't had a chance to evaluate it much yet but, what I'm
hoping for is that this will allow me to use the forum pretty much the same way
as I have been using Google Groups all along.  I just realized, after catching
up with some older messages on this list, that I have been presuming, thus far,
that the whole point of Discourse was to have basically the same functionality
as Google Groups from the standpoint of managing the email list but also have
different (hopefully better) features at the server/web site end.   Are others
not seeing it this way?  List mode is not default so you do have to explicitly
go in and set it.  With Google Groups, list mode is default but you can turn
that off and only read messages on the server.   So I'm not seeing this change
as that much of a big deal unless I'm wrong about the email end for Discourse