Thank you so much for this. I'm encountering a stumbling block,
though: when it comes time to do

svn propedit svn:externals vendor

...I get an error message about not having set the environment
variables SVN_EDITOR, VISUAL, or EDITOR. I'm using OS X, with svn
version 1.2.3 (r15833). How should I resolve this?

(I don't remember which method I used to install subversion. It
doesn't look like it's a Fink install, at least.)

James