Thanks for your thoughts, John.  I guess a major reason why I did it that way -- besides expediency -- is that I think all content, whether created by a logged-in user, should be editable/removable via the admin interface.  I also didn't want to spend a lot of time increasing the complexity of the admin interface, considering it is so clean and elegant as it is.  In some ways, the discussion of page metadata as page-parts influenced this decision.

The method I used could be used to model any type of structured, textual data, of course.  That is, separating the structural pieces (fields) into page-parts. "Page as Hash", just as DHH considers DBMS's to be Hashes.

However, the code would be a lot cleaner if there were another model instead.  Maybe this could be done in a future iteration.  I really love the way Radiant works, looks, and feels and hope to continue working on behaviors and such for a while!

Sean Cribbs
seancribbs.com

On 9/6/06, John W. Long <[EMAIL PROTECTED] > wrote:
Sean Cribbs wrote:
> I also wanted to probe John about the subject of where comments are stored.
> I know there had been previous discussions of how to implement comments on
> the list, and they largely shaped my chosen implementation.  Do you
> think it
> would still be relevant to have a separate Comments model with its own
> admin-UI, or is the stored-as-pages method ok? (i.e. is the method I'm
> using
> good enough to fulfill the goal of "Radiant has comments")

Sean, your method is pretty creative considering the fact that Radiant
doesn't presently give you a way to add stuff the admin interface. I
still favor making comments a separate model object though, and here's
why: Pages have URLs layouts, etc... Comments do not have their own URL
(nor do then need a layout). Comments are data that is associated with
pages, therefore they should not be implemented as pages themselves.

Your method is interesting though, and would prove very useful in
certain circumstances.

--
John Long
http://wiseheartdesign.com