Yeah it might be a weird Ajax thing. You can inspect xmlhttprequests easily, though: just install Firebug for Firefox, open it up (F12) when you enter the admin and go to "options" (last option, check it).

When you click on the "plus"-es now you can see the requests in console. Inspect the server response by clicking on them.

Your problem doesn't seem to me like a client-side problem because you can insert response headers into the page by an accident. It might be a server problem