Hello Andreas,

I've found that a collection of open source (or closed-source but
free) tools are needed. I've yet to find the "ultimate" CSS/XHMTL app.
For structural layout I recommend N|vu (both windows and *IX), for CSS
any text editor with syntax highlighting can do the job (I use PSPad
for windows and vim and emacs on *IX systems.
One tool that is invaluable is Firefox's Web Developer Tool Bar--the
best in the biz, period. There are other FF extensions that help
debugging code (i.e. FireBug, IE Tab, View Source Chart).