Oh, you need to explicitely require 'application' to load the
application controller - The application controller is not loaded until
after the extensions, which means that any reference to a controller
will be unable to load it's superclass (as the class is named
ApplicationController, but it is loaded from an application.rb file - a
default I've never understood about rails, but I'm guessing it served a
historical purpose).