On Feb 8, 2007, at 8:02 AM, Todd McGrath wrote:

> In my case, I think it's going to make more sense for users to have
> position be
> the default order.  So, I made the following change in
> standard_tags.rb to set
> default order by to use position in children:each:
>
> #by = (attr[:by] || 'published_at').strip
> by = (attr[:by] || 'position').strip
>
> I'll hope this change is incorporated into core in the future :)

Todd,

In the extension, and extensibly in the patch that may be used in the
future, the children association has been modified to be:

    Page.reflections[:children].options[:order] = "position ASC"

I can see why you would want this in children_find_options as well.
Once a collection becomes an array, the position is the natural sort
order. On the other hand, part of the default behavior of
children_find_options is to only return children which are published.
This could be used to argue that published_at is a more appropriate
sort order.

It would be nice to hear from others on this matter. Please indicate
why one way is better than another.

   adam williams