> IIRC, that 'extract' method that was removed was designed to
> deal with sqlite3.

Yes, but it was only necessary because the original code was doing the search
in a platform specific way by relying on functions to
transform a date into a string and perform a string comparison. The new
approach just does a comparison on the fields as
dates and checks that it lies within a range, so there's nothing special about
it.

Also the new approach would allow you to put an index on the published_at
column to get that running zippy - most db's don't deal
well with functions and indexes. Not that that's going to have any real impact
until you've got A LOT of pages, but it's nice
anyway.

>Also, the size of your range is only one day.

Yes, that's because my example was for the day index page - the month index
would use Time#next_month and the year index
Time#next_year.

Dan.