Michael,

1) page_attachments assumes you want a particular file accessible from a
particular page or its children.  It also assumes you know the name of
the file and makes no assumptions about the format of the file, be it
text, image or some other binary format.  There is no way to iterate
through the attachments of any given page.
2) This again falls out of the scope of page_attachments.  I wouldn't
want random visitors uploading files into my page, so I didn't add that
functionality.

Overall, it sounds like you want some full-fledged gallery software.
The gallery extension might fit your needs.  There's also always room
for another extension that implements the functionality you desire.

Sean