Glad you got it working, sounds cool!

What I would suggest to alleviate your conflicts with
ApplicationController and ApplicationHelper is to extract your
differences into modules that you can store in an extension and include
into each of those classes at activation time.  This will allow
Radiant's built-in stuff to still work, but will also allow you to
change things that you need to get ActiveScaffold working.

Sean