Radiant ties itself to Rails by inclusion (look in
vendor/radiant/vendor/rails, or gems/radiant-0.6.x/vendor/rails).  Both
frozen and gem Radiant ignores any Rails gems you have installed.

As far as moving to a newer version of Rails for security fixes, the
core team tries to keep on top of that.  0.6.5 will include Rails 1.2.6,
which came out after the Radiant 0.6.4 release.  Since Rails 2 will be
out soon, 0.6.6 will probably include Rails 2.x.

Sean