The important thing is that the Radiant (Rails) process must have write
permissions to that directory.  Both the chmod and chgrp do the job.  For me
seems that the chgrp you did is more clean.  Security is a though topic, but
in your case i wouldn't be worried too much, it's just the temp directory.

    /AITOR