>   1) Is there any other way to access the flash or session data from
>      a tag?

It can be done, but it requires a bit of patching. You need to put the
request and response objects in the globals for the tag to access, and
bear in mind that you need to reenable to sessions for sitecontroller:

module SiteControllerExt
   def self.included(base)
     base.class_eval {
       # This reenables the session for the SiteController -
session :on does not work!
       session :disabled => false
     }
   end