Thanks for the feedback Steven. I'm really interested in making this a usable extension for all.

I always used pages for my js and css files too and, like you, never had more than a handful of each -- it wasn't much of a bother to do. So, when John first mentioned the idea to me I really only saw one or two valid reasons for such an extension (for instance, I found it difficult to explain to users why they had to create a blank layout for a stylesheet just to set the content-type).

Now that I've been working on it, I see *many* good reasons to go this route (my current favorite is the server and browser caching benefits -- I *love* the idea of not having to expire and reserve all stylesheets and javascripts every 5 minutes).

As to the multiple tabs, yeah, I'm with you. Originally I think John envisioned something like an "Assets" tab where CSS, JS and image files could all reside but Radiant hasn't settled on an image asset approach just yet. And without images, what do you call the tab -- Text Assets? CSS & JS? Assets-That-Don't-Happen-To-Include-Images? Actually, my original mock-up for this extension had one tab (called "Files") but I still kind of choked on that vague name.

Anyway, for now, John just suggested keeping two tabs and waiting to see how things progressed. In the interest of minimizing tab space, I did choose to name them CSS and JS instead of Stylesheets and Javascripts. Plus, your standard-level users never see the tabs anyway so it looks clean to them.

I certainly welcome any ideas/suggestions here. Its a fairly straightforward design but nothing's set in stone.

-Chris

Steven Southard wrote:
I just tried out your extension. Nice idea. I've always liked how the css file was exposed under pages but I really hadn't thought of it having it's own section either. Also, I've always wondered where to put my js files. I usually just tucked them in the javascript folder and referenced them. This gives them a proper place. I mostly only use one stylesheet per website so it seems a bit overkill. Not to be stingy with my tabs, but I think I'd like it better if the css and js pages were both under one tab. I'm looking forward to seeing what becomes of this extension.

Thanks,

Steven