I think I agree that having a task sync those files is going to be the
best way to go.

Restricting access is not really an issue as (so far) I am just using
page_attachments for adding images to public pages.

Does anybody have any advice for how to go about this?

I'm pretty new to Capistrano.  Is there a simple way to have Capistrano
tar up the files locally, upload them to the production server, then
replace the existing files with the uploaded files?

The last part seems easy enough -- I get that I can use 'run' to run
commands on the remote server.  I'm just not sure how to have it run
commands locally and upload files.