jeff,

it's been my experience that the browser cannot be trusted for sending
the correct mime type upon upload. firefox (all platforms) has been a
particularly bad offender, and i know that IE does some funny stuff,
too. (i can't believe it's 2008 and this basic functionality is still
broken! on second thought, i can. mime types and file extensions have
always been like the wild-west.)

in our recent projects that involve uploading files, we've used
mimetype-fu <http://github.com/mattetti/mimetype-fu/> for determining
the correct/canonical (as far as mimetype-fu is concerned) mime type
to avoid two situations: 1) new/unexpected file types that users
upload and 2) consistent mapping of common file types
(application/msword vs. application/vnd.ms-word vs. ???)

maybe paperclip should be patched to use mimetype-fu. it's pretty
inadequate for anything other than basic file types at the moment:

    # Infer the MIME-type of the file from the extension.
    def content_type
      type = (self.path.match(/\.(\w+)$/)[1] rescue "octet-stream").downcase
      case type
      when %r"jpe?g"                 then "image/jpeg"
      when %r"tiff?"                 then "image/tiff"
      when %r"png", "gif", "bmp"     then "image/#{type}"
      when "txt"                     then "text/plain"
      when %r"html?"                 then "text/html"
      when "csv", "xml", "css", "js" then "text/#{type}"
      else "application/x-#{type}"
      end
    end

probably not the answer you're looking for, but hth,

-justin