Anton,
I wasn't sure what you meant about people your age, so I looked back at what I sent. I added 50-ish to quantify "a lot," not to describe the age of the technically-challenged users. Sorry for the misunderstanding! We have about 50 "curators" who update our web site. Most of them are administrative assistants, though some are department chairs with PhDs or even departmental marketing people. They have varying levels of writing skill and technical aptitude, with little correlation to their age.

Web publishing is inherently complex. You mention relevant content and grammar. Also, writing for the web (brevity, headlines, photo captions, SEO), layout, and design—it's a tricky business. To manage the inherent complexity, we have to hire well and train well.

My aim is just to reduce the incidental complexity for them (and for me). Web publishing should be as simple as possible and no simpler. :-)

Jason